Sunday, November 10, 2013

What Ifs in the Land of Plenty

"What if you get to Bolivia and get sick?" "What happens if you need surgery that you can't get there?" "What if you get there and run out of money?" "What if people don't like you because you are white?" "What if you need to call each other?" "What if there is an emergency while one of you is out with the car?" "What if you need that later?"

     Those are some of the questions we are asked concerning our preparation for the big move to Bolivia. Most were expected, some not as much. Just to recap, so that this all makes sense, when God called us to missions, he began to change the way we see the "stuff" in this life. We cared less for things, and more for beings. God has been working in us, and continues to do so, a focus on the the eternal and not the temporal. We began getting rid of our things and this really confused people. 

     I think people just assumed we were getting a storage unit for our stuff, since we were "surely coming back one day." The more liberated we felt lessening the gravity of our things, the more confused our circle of relationships became regarding our downsizing. At first, it was just a little strange to get rid of those pretty things we "may need one day." But when the bigger things began to go, the questions in our family and friend's heads became more vocal. Suddenly, things... 'got real.' 

     When we cut down to one cell phone (between the two of us), a friend of mine irritatedly said, "Dude, I'm going to get you a track phone just for me so I can get in touch with you." Some concerned family asked if we'd considered the fact that one of us may need to reach the other in case of an emergency. Another 'what if.' And just when it was thought we could go no further, we dropped down to just one vehicle. The old one. "What if Ashley needs to get the kids to the doctor while you are at work?" 

     This journey of preparation has been a road full of "what ifs." The questions I had, as first, asked God myself. But, as only God can do, my heart began to change. The Lord began to question me, and I ask you this too. "Do you trust the Lord?" Do you trust that he is sovereign as his word proclaims? Do you trust that he is good as Christ has said? Do you trust that he is capable and mighty, as attested by his creation? Often we asked these question of "what if" in an effort to be wise, yet this is not heavenly wisdom. It is worldly wisdom. 

     Worldly wisdom asks "what if" and "how do I prepare." Godly wisdom says, "Lord, ask of me what you will and I will do it. If I am to prepare, I will do it with all my might as unto your glory. If I am not to prepare, I will wait with earnest expectation of your demonstration of providence." Godly wisdom is centered plainly on two pillars: obedience without question and delight in his statutes (his word). There must be a manner in which we think with sober consideration about what is wise in this world, but all things must be taken before the throne before we staple it to the agenda. There is nothing wrong with planning for the 'what ifs,' but you must be sure to listen to the leading and direction of the Holy Spirit. Elijah was fed by ravens in the wilderness. The Israelites were fed by manna from Heaven. The 5000 were fed by a little bread and fish. Do not underestimate the power of God's providence and the supremacy of his sovereignty. 

 I assume the wealthy ruler in the account below was as concerned with the 'what ifs' as with his wealth. Our plenty in this land often gives us a false sense of security, a self-made providence. We have become comfortable and dependent on the culture of 'what ifs.' This is why insurance is booming, and can be purchased for everything. Our plenty has blinded us to the real gravity of our need of God's grace and provision. 

"And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.'" And he said to him, "Teacher, all these I have kept from my youth." And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me." Disheartened by the saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions."
Mark 10:17-22, ESV

     Jesus did not ask him to sell all he had until after he loved him. The love of God towards us and our love toward God, is most felt in the midst of his providence. Our dependency on him and his provision for us is a mystery of the divine romance. Paul related Christ and the church to a husband and bride, and labeled it a profound mystery. So, rather than what ifs, let's just ask 'what.' Lord, what step do you want me to take today? What do you want me to do for you today, right now, in this moment? Trust that, in his great love, he will handle the what ifs. You are simply to do, in total reliance on him. "Whatever does not proceed from faith, is sin." Let every step you take be rooted in your faith in a sovereign and good God. 

"Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?" or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."
Proverbs 30:7-9, ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment