Thursday, August 31, 2017

Joel Osteen is a Good Man with a Bad Message

I can't sleep so I thought I'd put to digital paper the thoughts running through my head. I have a feeling this will be lengthly, but hopefully therapeutic. I'm also going to permit my mind to wander, so it's likely this blog will lack linear thought or a cohesive narrative. The idea is to simply allow my mind to explore it's self on paper (or in a blog).

We live in a world full of colorful minds and diverse personalities. We, though so many, are all so distinct; and, the lenses we use to see the world are just as distinct. Perspective is important, and difficult to share. These lenses we wear can't be taken off and traded like cheap sunglasses, they are embedded in the corneas of our souls. But, it hasn't stopped us from trying to share our lenses. We even came up with sayings to express our desires to share. "Walk a mile in my shoes," or "Try to see if from my point of view" are just two of the things we say in an attempt to share the landscapes that captivate us.

I love people. I love how each individual is unique and his or her impact and influence on this world
is one of a kind. I genuinely love people. I want their good, their best, their success. I want each person to reach their potential. I think sometimes I may want these things too much. My love often clothes itself in worry and concern. My first name (William) means mighty protector. My second name (Seth) means appointed. Somehow I think I've convinced myself that I must protect, as if it were the purpose I was born with. I love people and in my great love I desire to protect them. I cannot fathom not standing up for the weak, the oppressed, the abused, the misguided, the "least."

This is my nature. I stress out if I cannot help a situation. I feel useless if I cannot intervene to protect or step in to repair broken situations or broken people. A student told me a few months ago, "You are like everyone's dad, the dad of the school." It struck me as an odd thing to say. When I think of a dad I tend to thing of someone more manly, stronger, I don't know. I've never really thought of myself as dad material. I am a dad to my wonderful blessings. I love them beyond words and emotion. But, I've never felt comfortable in this role. I never had a dad and my examples were little or lacking. But I am a dad by God's grace. So, when this student told me this, I wasn't sure how to react or respond. I think I get it now. One thing dads do is protect, look out for, provide safety and security. I guess my love for them made them feel safe. Protector.

Sometimes my attempt to protect is misunderstood. About 2 years ago, there was a teen who did not appreciate my protective nature. He'd been in our ministry for a little over a year and was doing discipleship with me. He was also hiding a life of partying, drinking, and mild drug use. One night his mother called me to ask if I'd take her to the police station to pick him up for drinking underage. I loved this kid, so I was so disappointed and afraid. Afraid of the road he was walking on, what it would do to his life and his family. So I yelled and I pleaded and I scolded him. His response was that he wished he'd never met me. He cut off all ties and didn't speak to me or my family. He continued in his life of fun and sin. I was distraught. I felt like a failure. "Who would protect him now?" I thought. A year later he came back, and repented in tears and has become one of my closest friends despite the age difference. His life has changed and he loves the Lord deeply.

In my fear, I acted hastily. This situation taught me something. That it isn't wrong to be concerned, and it isn't wrong to speak out or speak the truth. In fact, we are commanded to speak the truth in love. So, our methods must not come from fear. Our methods must come from love. But even still, this can be challenged. Even still, different lenses can misjudge the motive. But we can't hand out our lenses to everyone around us. We can't always make them see what we see. But we are still responsible for what we see. We are responsible to act on conscience. James 4:17 says, "If you know the good you ought to do and do not do it, it is sin for you." This means that we are to submit to the law of Christ and to the conscience he has give us. Should go against my conscience (the good I know I ought to do), it would be sinful.

So, all of this to set the foundation for what is to follow. I must obey my conscience, which is submitted to God's word and rooted in a deep love for those around me. The words that follow are birthed from my protective nature I told you about above. I pray that rather than read them with lenses that misinterpret, that you'd read them with lenses of love as these words come from my love for you.

I am not a critical person. I never speak out publicly against people. It's not been my habit nor my desire. I don't like drama nor do I like division or divisive behavior. I believe division is a work of the flesh according to Galatians 5:19-21. I don't like foolish quarrels or arguments. I think those are contrary to scripture based on 2 Timothy 2:23. I think that we should seek peace with everyone around us because Romans 12:18 says so. I think we are in no place to judge the heart and soul of another (1 Samuel 16:7, Romans 14:4). I think we are to submit to church leaders and let them lead with joy since that is exactly what Hebrews 13:17 says. However, the Bible says more.

Returning to Hebrews 13:17, we see that leaders must give account to God for the souls they pastor. They must protect and teach their sheep. And they have a scriptural mandate to protect them from false teachers (Matthew 7:15, 2 Timothy 4:3-4, Acts 20:28-30, 2 Peter 3:16-17, 1 John 4:1, Titus 1:9-11, 2 Peter 2:1-2, Romans 16:17-18).

We have an obligation, church, to speak out on matters of truth and injustice. The very passage in Ephesians that is on "walking in love" says this, "Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of the light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them." (Ephesians 5:6-11)

In Proverbs 31:8-9, we find King Lemuel quoting his mother's words to him, "Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy."

1 Timothy 5:20 says to rebuke those who persist in sin in the presence of all. Romans 16:17 says to "mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to doctrine you have received." Division in that verse is the greek dichostasia which refers to a separation, a group apart - similar in weight to sect or cult, caused by heresy. In Galatians 5:20, among the works of the flesh is heresy, often translated as dissension. The original text uses the greek word, hairesis (where we get the word heresy) which means faction or separated group.

Jesus said, "Judge not by appearance, but judge with righteous judgement." The righteous measure by which we all fall short is the infallible word of God. Righteous judgement is there. We do not judge the heart, as we are not the lawgiver or the executioner. But in defense of sound doctrine as service to the body, we have an obligation to judge rightly. This is why Paul called out eight people by name in letters to Timothy who were veering from Truth. Of one he said their heresy would "spread like gangrene."

So, I don't judge people, I don't try to involved myself in foolish disputes and controversies. But I am obligated to speak the truth in Love. Love is not self-seeking. This post serves me in no way. In fact, it could very well have negative consequences should someone read and disagree and withhold support for our ministry here in Bolivia. There is a level of carnal fear in what I write, but I cannot remain silent. We must "test the spirits" to see if they are indeed "from the Lord." The testing is done with God's word, and nothing more.

There are many preachers in the world today preaching "another doctrine" and I stand appalled, like Paul to the Galatians, at how many believers are so quick to be ensnared by their deception. Yet, there is one in particular who I need to mention. Why? Because Joel Osteen's church is the largest in America. His teachings and books are being sent worldwide and bringing much perversion to the message of the cross. It is not a "different type of ministry" and he does not "minister to a particular demographic." He is blind and ensnared and I earnestly pray that God would open his eyes. I do not hate him. I do not care how he looks, where he lives, how much money he makes, or whether he uses botox. Those are irrelevant. I care about what he says from his pulpit and in his books and every other medium he uses to espouse an errant, dangerous, perverted doctrine.

Scripture says, not everyone should be a leader because leaders will be judged more strictly (James 3:1). And this is the case here. I don't deny his intention, but he is zealous with no wisdom and he is incredibly dangerous to sincere Christ-centered biblical Christianity. I truly believe he is a good man, wildly blinded by scriptural ignorance. I think he loves his family and in his heart he loves God, or a least what he assumes about God. Yet, as I listen to his sermons, I find no evidence of sincere study. Most recently I listened to his sermon "The Power of I Am." A sermon with over 2.4 million views on YouTube. He is very encouraging, yet his message is damaging. And not only damaging, but damning to those who believe it.

The title is misleading as it is not about God, who is the great I AM, yet about the things we say about ourselves. The entire sermon was about what we think of ourselves. And every verse he used was horribly removed from context. Please remember, I am only speaking to what he says, not who he is. Here are some examples:

In speaking of what we say about ourselves, he said that we should not speak negatively but declare things that are positive. After saying we should say things like, "I am talented." He said this, "When you talk like that talent gets summoned by an all-mighty God." Yet, this assumption has no basis in scripture. In fact, speaking for God when God did not speak is a sin which God punished many times in old testament among the false prophets.

At 7 minutes in he quoted Ephesians 2:10, that we are God's masterpiece. Yet, this verse refers to the work of Christ in us. The masterpiece is taking the vile sinner and making him a saint covered in Christ's blood. The word isn't a compliment, it simply denotes that we are created by God, given new life in Christ. The greek word simply means, "something made."

At 8 minutes in he quoted David from Psalm 139, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Osteen said that David was declaring he was a masterpiece and wonderful. That God made him "amazing." Yet, David was not talking about him self, but the WAY in which God made him. God is a great God who does wondrous things, including knitting life together in the womb.

At 10 minutes in he began to talk about God changing Sarah's name. Joel said, "God knew it would never come to pass unless he could convince Sarah to change her 'I am.'" Is God so feeble to bring about his promise, that should Sarah be depressed, the line that was to bring Christ would have been hindered? Who is greater God or man? He spent a great deal of time talking about how Sarah meant princess. So every time someone called name she felt youthful and pretty, which gave way to her getting pregnant. He spent so much time on this point, I wonder how he prepared for his sermon. Sarai meant princess. Her new name, Sarah, meant "mother of nations." The name change had nothing to do with her self-esteem and everything to do with God's sovereignty in bringing about his promise.

At around 14 minutes in, he mentioned the verse from Proverbs about the power of life and death in the tongue. In context this verse does not give any special powers but simply notes that our words reveal our hearts. Proverbs 18 teaches us how our words can stir conflict or peace. It is akin to Jesus's words, "with your mouth you condemn yourself and with your mouth you justify yourself" (Matthew 12:37). Jesus here was talking about the fruit we bear and how our words reveal the state of our heart as to whether or not belongs to the Lord.

At 15:50 minutes in, he said, "don't be against yourself." I couldn't help but to think of Jesus saying, "whoever wants to be my disciple must deny himself and take up his cross daily to follow me" (Luke 9:23).

At 16:40 he says, "the scriptures say 'let the weak say I am strong.'" Yet this verse wasn't telling God's people to speak strength over themselves, it was God speaking to those against him saying, "let you weak think of themselves strong, I will still defeat them. What is man against God?" This was the attitude of that passage, not a call to arm for God's people.

At 17 minutes he says, "It says in Romans 4:18 to call the things that are not as if they already were." Yet this is not true, at all. First, he meant to say 4:17, not 4:18. Second, this verse speaks to God's power, not mans. Verse 17 ends with, "the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do no exist." The passage is to give credit to an almighty God not to empower lowly man.

After minute 22, Osteen begins to talk about the spies Moses sent to look at the promise land. His treatment of this text falls into the same pattern of misuse and misunderstanding. God's anger at the people was not due to their proclamation, but their denial of the promise and their grumbling under God's appointed leadership. When God told them he'd do what they said, it wasn't a promise to us but a threat to them. This singular passage is no place to build a doctrine that our words steer God as if he were some benevolent genie doing our biding if we say something enough. This is insulting to his power and an offense to the Cross of Christ.

The entire message was approved by Oprah's OWN. The sermon was not a presentation of biblical truth but a perpetuation of the New Age, New Thought movement which teaches people to simply say and think in order to attain something better. There was no mention of sin, of holiness, of obedience. There was no mention of Jesus. The final part of the video, Osteen uses a shallow sinner's prayer and tells millions that if they prayed that "simple prayer" then they are born again. Yet, no mention of the fact that salvation comes by grace through faith. No mention of the fact that we must confess with our mouth and BELIEVE FROM OUR HEARTS that Christ is Lord. That Jesus said, "my sheep hear my voice and follow me." There was no "counting the cost" or talk of surrender. No concept of our daily battle with sin. Simply, his message was "believe in yourself and trust the hopeless lies of my perverted gospel."

Even Paul was held to the standards of scripture (Acts 17:11). I wish to close with the reiteration that I am not against him as a man. I think if he were to remove the misused verses and refrain from talking about God, he'd make an excellent motivational speaker to encourage many of the burdened and broken people of our day. He appears to genuinely love his family and his followers. However, he is treading waters for which he is too ill prepared and too ill equipped; and, his journey is placing the hearts and souls of many people in grave, eternal danger.


On October 31, 1517 Martin Luther sent his 95 Thesis in the form of a letter to the Archbishop of Mainz challenging the concept of indulgences and papal authority in the Catholic Church. This discourse would have been nailed to the church doors for all to see. His stance for truth was met with much persecution and opposition, yet lit the flame of the reformation. He battled tradition and nay-sayers in defense of Biblical fidelity, was ex-communicated by the church and sought as a criminal by Rome. Yet, his stance for Truth brought about the protestant reformation, from which we enjoy our biblical autonomy as believers today. Luther was the first in those who sought to make the scriptures available to all in his German translation of the Bible. Let us be good stewards of God's holy word and let us guard its truths in the face of all opposition. 


No comments:

Post a Comment